PhD Research Fellowship Program
De La Salle University is offering a PhD Research Fellowship Program to outstanding PhD Students enrolled in DLSU – College of Science. This program is designed to guide, train and mentor the best and the brightest PhD students who have the potentials, skills, passion and the integrity to become successful faculty researchers, innovators and social catalysts in the years to come.
- The program is open to both incoming and current PhD students of the College of Science.
- PhD applicants must have written and defended an MS thesis in any field of specialization in science.
- For incoming PhD students, the applicants should be admitted first in any PhD program being offered in the College of Science by 3rd term SY2012-2013. Admission period is October to November 2012. Please comply with the admission requirements and procedures of the De La Salle University, which can be found in this link: Graduate Studies Admission
- Incoming PhD students must have a GPA of 3.5 or higher (or its equivalent) from their Master’s degree program in order to qualify.
- For current PhD students, interested applicants must have earned at least 6 units of coursework with a GPA of 3.5 or higher;
- Both incoming or current PhD students must be a full-time student enrolled in at least 6 units of coursework every term, must not be employed during the term of the fellowship and must devote full-time to their research/studies.
- Only three (3) PhD students shall be chosen through a competitive selection process. The selected candidate shall be appointed as research fellow in any of the following units of the Center for Natural Sciences and Environmental Research: (1) Br. Alfred Shields FSC Marine Station, (2) High Performance Computing Laboratory, (3) Materials Science and Nanotechnology Unit, (4) Biodiversity and Conservation Unit, (5) Molecular Science Unit, or (6) Theoretical and Basic Science Unit. The candidate can also be appointed as research fellow to any COS faculty with existing project and research funding.
- The fellowship award provides a 100% scholarship throughout his/her graduate studies in DLSU. If in case the fellow is currently enjoying a partial academic scholarship from the Office of Student Financial Assistance, then his/her scholarship will be automatically upgraded to 100%.
- The award also provides a monthly stipend of P23,000 through-out the program plus a one-time book allowance of P10,000.
- Upon completing the program and his/her PhD degree, the research fellow may be invited for a teaching position in the College of Science or in other Lasallian schools subject to the provisions of the appropriate Faculty Manual.
- Applicants are required to submit the following:
- Updated curriculum vitae,
- Personal statement essay (1-2 pages, indicate personal and academic background, achievements, strengths and weaknesses and career goals),
- Research experience and plan essay (2-3 pages, indicate research interests, special trainings, research plan in completing PhD degree program and publication goals. The research plan should preferably be in consultation with the potential adviser.),
- Application letter (indicate which Research Laboratory or Faculty you want to be affiliated with),
- Two reference letters (if applicable, one must come from previous employer and the other from former MS professor),
- Transcript of Records (TOR),
- A one-page summary of M.S. thesis (indicate thesis statement, problems, methodology, framework, findings and conclusion)
- For current PhD student, a summary of grades certified true and correct by DLSU Office of the University Registrar
- The deadline for submission of application is on November 23, 2012. Please submit all your documents to the Office of Research & Advanced Studies located in the COS Dean’s Office, 2F William Hall, De La Salle University.
- An interview will be scheduled for shortlisted candidates on December 2012.
- The Selection Committee shall be composed of the Vice Chancellor for Research (chair), COS Dean, RAS Director, Center Directors, Laboratory/Unit heads, and one senior faculty member.
- Successful applicants will be announced on December 14, 2012.
- The PhD Research Fellowship Program shall commence on January 2013.
Terms & Conditions
- The tasks and research schedule of the PhD Research Fellow will be arranged in consultation with the Laboratory, Center Directors or the Principal Investigator/Faculty. The research fellow will serve as co-researcher/collaborator in one of the existing or on-going research projects of the center or the Principal Investigator/Faculty. He/she can also be involved in other research programs and activities of the research center. During the fellowship program, the fellow must not be employed nor seek employment on a fulltime basis.
- The PhD research fellow shall be part of the research center or the Principal Investigator/Faculty for a period of 1 year up to a maximum period of 3 years, subject to renewal or extension every year. The fellow shall be subjected to performance appraisal every year including an evaluation of his/her academic standing prior to renewal or extension. In this case, the fellow must maintain a GPA of 3.5 or higher and must submit a yearly summary of grades to the Office of Research & Advanced Studies.