Definition of Terms
[Source: RA 10173 https://privacy.gov.ph/data-privacy-act/]
Personal information – refers to any information whether recorded in a material form or not, from which the identity of an individual is apparent or can be reasonably and directly ascertained by the entity holding the information, or when put together with other information would directly and certainly identify an individual.
Sensitive personal information – refers to personal information:
(1) About an individual’s race, ethnic origin, marital status, age, color, and religious, philosophical or political affiliations;
(2) About an individual’s health, education, genetic or sexual life of a person, or to any proceeding for any offense committed or alleged to have been committed by such person, the disposal of such proceedings, or the sentence of any court in such proceedings;
(3) Issued by government agencies peculiar to an individual which includes, but not limited to, social security numbers, previous or cm-rent health records, licenses or its denials, suspension or revocation, and tax returns; and
(4) Specifically established by an executive order or an act of Congress to be kept classified.
Information We Collect
2. When accessing protected sites (e.g. Sakai, MyLasalle) Cookies are used by My.LaSalle to make use of the DLSU log-in procedure. They are not currently used to track your usage, nor are they used in any other way at this time. We do not keep track of what pages you visit except to deliver a customized service or to provide a personalized service you have requested (for example, to display new announcements).
3. When giving donations thru “Make a Gift” When visiting the link “Make a Gift”, portions of the site may collect information from the visitor thru a donation form. The form collects the following information: First name, Last name, Birthdate, Address, City, State/Province, Country, Zip, Business name, Business Address, Course, Year of Graduation, School, Email, and Mobile. These information are comprised of both personal and sensitive personal information and are collected only when the visitor decides to make a donation and submits the online donation form.
4. When accessing third-party hosted DLSU sites or pages (e.g. DLSU.Manila.100) These sites are not hosted nor maintained by DLSU and are considered to be public websites that provide services that allow insititutions such as DLSU to create and host sites or pages with them (e.g. Facebook). As such, DLSU does not collect nor maintain collected information within the jurisdiction of DLSU. However, in visiting or linking to these sites thru the DLSU website, they can collect information about where you came from (e.g. IP Address), as well as personal information thru identification via cookies when the visitor is already logged in to their services (e.g. visiting Facebook page when already logged in to a Facebook account). From the position of DLSU, any information collected that can be personally identifiable are not available for use of DLSU. Only aggregated and anonymized analytical information are provided by these sites and services to DLSU in the form of reports or charts.
5. Other information collected when browsing the site Our website also makes use of technologies that collect additional information on top of what was previously mentioned. Information such as IP addresses and System Log files are collected and maintained.
An IP address is a number that is used by computers on the network to identify your computer every time you log on to the Internet. The IP (Internet Protocol) address information does not identify you personally, but rather identifies the computer you are using and may even identify your general location.
The DLSU computers that serve our site keep a minimum set of system logs that allow us to tune and protect the service and to determine general usage patterns. We do not keep the information any longer than necessary to meet these objectives. The information we collect consist of: The name of the Internet domain from which you access the Internet The date and time a DLSU web site is visited The Internet address (IP number) of the web site from which you linked Selected information (like browser type) in logs can help when there are problems to be resolved
Processing and use of the collected personal data The collected data may be used in the following manner:
- Assist in visualizing visitors interaction with the site thru providing information about the areas visited, time spent and any issues encountered, such as error messages.
- Assist in improving the design and content of the website.
- Assist in troubleshooting tasks and inquiries.
- Assist in maintaining the safety and security of the site and its visitors or users.
- Assist in determining demographic information on the usage of the site.
- Assist in enforcing regulatory requirements or claims that would govern both the visitor and the site with respect to the information provided as well as its stated purpose.
- Assist in communicating to the visitor the services provided by DLSU.
- Assist in limiting access to internal areas of the website.
Transfer and Sharing of collected information
DLSU may share the collected information for the following cases or scenarios:
- When DLSU is required to do so by law or if such legal disclosure is reasonably necessary to comply with legal processes or respond to any claims.
- For maintaining the safety and security of the information collected as well as that of the data subject.
- When interacting with third-party service providers that may host or support our services and maintain databases. In such cases, the service and its provider will be subject to written agreements between DLSU and the provider, in accordance with the requirements of the Data Privacy Act of 2012. These written agreements or contracts will include the rights and obligations of each party and will include requirements for the third party to provide adequate security measures to safeguard the information as well as detailed scope of work to limit the use of the information only upon proper approval and consent.
Security of collected information
To ensure the confidentiality, integrity, and availablity of personal data that is collected; organizational, administrative, and technical processes and procedures are put in place to safeguard the collected information from loss, misuse, unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration or destruction.
Retention of collected information
Rights of the Data Subject
[Source: RA 10173 https://privacy.gov.ph/data-privacy-act/]
As the Data Subject, you are afforded the following rights as written in RA 10173 otherwise known as the Data Privacy Act of 2012.
- The right to be informed whether personal information pertaining to him or her shall be, are being or have been processed.
- The right to be furnished with the information before the entry of his or her personal information into the processing system of the personal information controller.
- The right to reasonable access to the data subjects information upon demand.
- The right to dispute the inaccuracy or error in the personal information and have the personal information controller correct it immediately and accordingly, unless the request is vexatious or otherwise unreasonable.
- The right to suspend, withdraw or order the blocking, removal or destruction of his or her personal information from the personal information controller’s filing system upon discovery and substantial proof that the personal information are incomplete, outdated, false, unlawfully obtained, used for unauthorized purposes or are no longer necessary for the purposes for which they were collected.
- The right to be indemnified for any damages sustained due to such inaccurate, incomplete, outdated, false, unlawfully obtained or unauthorized use of personal information.
- The right to data portability thru the ability to obtain from the personal information controller a copy of data undergoing processing in an electronic or structured format, which is commonly used and allows for further use by the data subject.
- The right to lodge a complaint before the National Privacy Commission.
Personal Information of Other Individuals
Personal Information of Minors
The services on this site are generally intended for persons 18 years of age and older. In the event that information to be collected by or contributed to DLSU is that of a minor, prior consent from the parent or legal guardian should be obtained in compliance with RA10173.
Complaints, Concerns, or Questions:
For any complaints, concerns, or questions regarding the collection and use of your personal information, you can contact our Data Protection Officer at email@example.com.
You can also contact us at:
Local number: 811
Direct Line: 465-8908 Office: LS Building Room 124