The Chancellor’s Council, in its meeting held last 1 February 2018, approved the General Guidelines on Energy Conservation and Management with the aim of enjoining all members of the Lasallian Community in conserving energy and in reducing our University’s carbon footprint.
Some of the energy conservation measures being promoted by the guidelines are as follows:
- As a general principle, people are enjoined to use electricity only when needed. The community is encouraged to utilize available natural lighting and ventilation.
- All offices are encouraged to switch off lights from 12 noon until 1:30 pm. (or during scheduled noon break) to help reduce energy costs and carbon emissions.
- Last person to leave the room is requested to switch off the lights
Air conditioning units
- To maintain a comfortable room environment, air conditioning units should be set not lower than 22 degrees Celsius (Thermostat Setting 6). This helps reduce the energy load by around 10% for every 1 degree warmer setting. Doors and windows should always be kept closed whenever the air-conditioning system in switched on.
- Users of a room are requested to switch off aircon units immediately after an activity or event. Users should inform the roving security guard or MEWO to shut down centralized aircon systems immediately after an activity or event.
Audio – Visual and Other Electrical Instructional Equipment
- Last person to leave the room is requested to switch off AV equipment and other electrical instructional equipment if it will not be used for more than an hour. In-between classes, these may be left open, ready for use by the next teacher; class schedules are posted in the classrooms for reference.
- At the end of the day, the last person to leave the room is requested to switch off and unplug the AV equipment.