Research and Publications
Department Performance of TRED in Research and Publication
|NORM||EDUCATION & HUMANITIES CLUSTER|
|RESEARCH PRODUCTIVITY INDEX||(.04) 8TH||(.33) 4TH||(.81) 1ST|
|RESEARCH OUTPUT||(.19) 8TH||(.73) 4TH||(1.41) 2ND|
|FACULTY ACTIVE INVOLVEMENT IN RESEARCH||(.19) 8TH||(.45) 4TH||(.58) 1ST|
Faculty Research Projects & Community Engagement
Prof. Dr. Rito Baring
- Project Leader, BEC Research Team for a three-year project with the Catholic Bishops Conference of the Philippines (CBCP).
- Pre-Synod Survey consultant for the Archdiocese of Lingayen-Dagupan
- UBICHEA Grant, Seminar- workshop for the integration of Service Learning in Values/Theology courses for College teachers of Theology/Values.
- UBICHEA Grant, Seminar-workshop for College teachers in Bohol on “Peace building, Resilience and Heritage conservation.”
- UBICHEA Grant, Youth Specific Peace-nurturing Training component for teachers handling values-oriented courses in Philippine Tertiary Programs, MSU-IIT.
- Commissioned by CBCP to analyze materials from a national survey on Family.
(Other lectures, seminars given)
- Data Gathering. CLA Graduate Students’ Lecture Series, 2018
- What Should I “like” about Research? A Lecture on Research for the Graduate students of Holy Angel University in Pampanga, 2018
- The Person of the Religious Educator. Given to teachers of St. Theresa’s College. Bauan, Batangas, 2017
- Breaking in for Research and Publication. A Research seminar for teachers of Holy Angel University, Pampanga, 2017
- Seminar on Doing Research in Religious Education and Humanities. Betania Retreat House, Lahug, Cebu City, 2017
- Creating the Next Big Problem: Writing for Research. Presented at the conference for Teachers, Great Eastern Hotel, Quezon City, 2017
- Doing Research and Publishing in Refereed and Abstracted Journals. A research seminar to MA students in Applied Linguistics of Nueva Ecija University of Science and Technology (NEUST), 2017
- Data Gathering in Research. A Graduate Student Research Seminar Series, 2017.
- Workshop for DLSU Teachers and graduate students on “Publishing in High Impact Journals, ISI and Scopus-indexed Journals”, 2016
- 2018 “Gaudete et Exsultate and the Unfinished Agenda of Vatican II,” Catholic Theological Ethics in the World Church (CTEWC), June, 2018, http://www.catholicethics.com/forum-submissions/gaudete-et-exsultate-and-the-unfinished-agenda-of-vatican-ii.
- 2017 “Complicity in the Summary Executions in Duterte’s Drug War.” November 4, 2017
- 2017 “Fake News, Facebook, and ‘Ethics in Internet.” February 28, 2017
- 2016 “Theological Ethics in Asia after Padova.” July 1, 2016,
- 2015 “Looking at Laudato Si from the Global South.” America, June 19, 2015.
- 2013 “A Philippine Perspective on the Role of the Moral Theologian in Church & Society,” Catholic Moral Theology. 31 July 2013.
- 2006 “Interculturality – A Challenge in the Postmodern World.” Info on Human Development 32, nos. 4-6 (April-June 2006): 28-30.
- 2018 “Church as Sacrament of Yinyang Harmony.” Avery Dulles Centenary Lecture. Fordham University, New York, September 24, 2018.
- 2018 “Church as Sacrament of Yinyang Harmony” at World Catholicism Week conference on “Daughters of Wisdom: Women & Leadership in the Global Church,” De Paul University, Chicago, April 6-8 2018.
- 2018 “Church as Sacrament of Yinyang Harmony” at World Catholicism Week conference on ““Daughters of Wisdom: Women & Leadership in the Global Church,” De Paul University, Chicago, April 6-8 2018.
- 2018 “Cyberviolence against Women and the Ethical Role of the ‘Face’” at the “Christianity and Mediation” Conference, Frankfurt Main, Germany, March 14-16, 2018.
- 2017 “Leadership of Women in the Catholic Church and the Ciudad Mistica de Dios A Contrapuntal Reading,” Asian Christianities: Postcolonial Encounters, Concilium International Conference, Adamson University, Manila, June 29-July 1, 2017.
- 2017 Keynote Speaker. Duffy Lectures on Global Christianity (5 lectures on Filipin@ Theology). Boston College, USA, January-April, 2018.
- 2017 Keynote Speaker. Public Lecture. “Does Capitalism Kill?: Critical Perspectives 50 Years after Populorum Progressio.” D’Angelo Chair Lecture, May 30, St. Johns University, Queens Campus; April 3, Staten Island Campus, New York.
- 2016 Keynote Speaker (Opening Lecture). “Does Capitalism Kill?: Critical Perspectives 50 Years after Populorum Progressio.” Conference at the Occasion of the 50th year anniversary of Populorum Progressio, November 14-16, 2016. Catholic University of Leuven, Université Catholique of Louvain-la-neuve, Lumen Vitae, and Missio.
- 2016 “Ministry in a New Ecclesiology of the Laity,” Joint conference of the DaKaTeo (Catholic Theological Society of the Philippines) and the European Society in Catholic Theology on “Gender and Ecclesiology,” July 2016, Tagaytay, Philippines.
- 2015 “Is dialogue about the proclamation of truth? Cross-fertilizing Nostra Aetate with Ad Gentes.” Leuven Encounters in Systematic Theology, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium, October 26-29, 2015.
- 2015 Public Lecture Respondent. Catholic Theological Ethics in the World Church Asian Regional Conference, Bangalore, India, July 20, 2015.
- 2015 Keynote Speaker. “Resilience: Virtue in the ‘Unexpected Wilderness.” Annual College Theology Society Conference. Portland, USA, May 28-31, 2015.
- 2015 Concurrent Session. “Mary as Type and Model of Church in Lumen Gentium (Asia).” Ecclesiological Investigations Network International Conference, Georgetown University, Washington DC, May 21-24, 2015.
- 2015 “Religious and Cultural Beliefs related to Disaster Risk Reduction: The Case of the Supertyphoon Haiyan.” World Catholicism Week, DePaul University, Chicago, USA, April 11, 2015.
- 2014 “Online Interfaith Dialogue, Peacebuilding, and the Kusogmindanaw Yahoo Group.” St. Vincent School of Theology – Adamson University – DePaul University Intercontinental Conversation, Manila, Philippines, December 13, 2014.
- 2014 Gender Roles in the Context of Feminization of Migration: Challenge to Papal Teachings? Ateneo de Manila University, School of Humanities, Quezon City, Philippines, September 13, 2014.
- 2014 Panel speaker, workshop group. “Professional Women Theologians in Asia: Opportunities and Challenges,” International Network for Societies in Catholic Theology Conference, Belo Horizonte, Brazil, July 16-20, 2014.
- 2014 Concurrent session speaker. “Solidarity in the (Cyber) Body of Christ.” Society of Christian Ethics Conference, Seattle, USA, January 10, 2014.
- 2014 Panel speaker. “The Methodological Significance of “Experience” for Moral Theology.” Ethics and Catholic Theology Interest Group, Seattle, USA, January 10, 2014.
- 2014 West Coast, US Lecture Series. “Solidarity in the (Cyber-) Body of Christ.”Ann O’Hara Graff Lecture series, Seattle University, January 13, 2014, Seattle Washington; first annual Sr. Mary Garvin, SJNM lecture, Gonzaga University, January 15, 2014, Spokane, Washington; lecture at Jesuit School of Theology in collaboration with Graduate Theological Union, January 16, 2014, Berkeley, California.
- 2013 “Cyberspace and the New Evangelization.” CBCP Episcopal Commission on Culture, Alfonso, Cavite, Philippines, October 16, 2013.
- 2013 Keynote speaker. Conference on “50th Anniversary of Pacem in Terris.” Australian Catholic Theological Association, Sydney, Australia, July 4, 2013.
- 2013 “Postcolonial-Intercultural Theological Ethics: Agenda for the Future.” Catholic Theological Ethics in the World Church European Regional Conference, Berlin, June 29, 2013.
- 2012 “Power-Beauty and Prophetic Resistance.” DePaul University, Chicago, USA, November, 2012.
- 2012 “Feminism in Africa and the World Church.” Catholic Theological Ethics in the World Church African Regional Conference, August 22, 2012, Nairobi, Kenya.
- 2012 “Seeing Beyond Religious and Social Divides: Intercultural Church.” Conference of Ecclesiological Investigations International Research Network, April 17-20, Assisi, Italy.
- 2011 “The BECs in the Late Modern World: Church as Bridge of Solidarity.” Asian Continental BEC Conference, September, 2011, Office for the Laity, Federation of Asian Bishops’ Conference, Taipei, Taiwan.
- 2011 “Between Faith and Politics: What Happened to the Mediating Structures?” 20th year Anniversary of the Second Plenary Council of the Philippines, St. Vincent School of Theology, Adamson University, Manila, January 13-15, 2011.
- 2007 “Globalization and Catholic Theological Ethics: A Southeast Asian Perspective.” First Cross-cultural Conference of Catholic Theological Ethics in the World Church, Padua, Italy, 2006.
- 2007 “Peoples of God on the Move: Hopes from Sending Countries” and “Toward an Intercultural Church: Pastoral Implications in the Migration Context.” 3rd Omnes Gentes conference, Leuven, Belgium, October 18-20, 2007.
- 2006 “Interculturality – A Challenge in the Postmodern World.” Office for Human Development, FABC, Pattaya, Thailand, January 16-21, 2006.
- 2003 “Mission and Power.” 1st Omnes Gentes Conference, October 16-18, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium.
- 2003 “Beyond the Religious and Social Divide: The Emerging Mindanawon Identity.” and “Migration and the Transformation of Ethnic and Religious Identities: The Mindanao-Sulu Experience.” Missio, Aachen, Germany, November 24-28, 2003.
- 2003 “Fundamentalism and Filipino Religiosity.” Center for Spirituality-Manila Lecture Series 3: Spirituality, Quezon City, August 5-7, 2003.
- 2001 “Use of Mediations in Liberation Theologies: A Philippine Perspective.” Feestschrift symposium for Georges de Schrijver, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium, April 2001.
- 2001 (co-author with Ma. Anicia Co, RVM). “Fusion of Horizons: Women Naming and Celebrating their God-Experience.” Bishops’ Institute of Lay Apostolate III on Women, Hua-hin, Thailand, October 16, 2001.
- 1999 “Patriarchal Relations: Reinforced or Undermined? Globalization and Employment of Women’s Labor.” (interest group paper), American Academy of Religion, Boston, USA, November, 1999.
- 1998 “A Response to Feminist Theology in Conversation.” Institute for Formation in Religious Studies, Quezon City, Philippines, November 21, 1998.
- Editorial Board member, Asian Christian Review (2007-2016)
- Theology and Religious Studies Series editor, Ateneo de Manila University Press (2006-2014); published more than ten books.
- Participant, Bishops-Moral Theologians Dialogue, Manila, August, 2014.
- Panel Organizer, videoconferencing with universities in the USA (Boston College/Chicago Theological Union/ Fordham University/Loyola University-Chicago/Marquette University/Santa Clara University/Barry University), in Europe/Africa for the 8th conference of the Ecclesia of Women in Asia (EWA), Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam, January 19, 2018; 7th conference of EWA, Tagaytay, Manila, January 2016; 6th Conference of the Ecclesia of Women in Asia, Bangalore India, November 15, 2013; 5th Conference of the Ecclesia of Women in Asia, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, November 5-9, 2011.
- Theologian Consultant, 8th Plenary Assembly of the Federation of Asian Bishops’ Conference, Dae-jeon, Korea, August 17-22, 2004.
- International Advisory Board, Theological Studies (2016-present; Scopus-indexed)
- International Advisory Board, Louvain Studies (2015-present; Scopus-indexed)
- International Advisory Board, Catherine of Siena College-University of Roehampton (2016-present)
- International Advisory Board, International Journal of Asian Christianities (2016-presemt)
- Board Member, Academy of Asian Christian Studies (2016-present)
- Editorial Board member, Budhi Journal (2011-present)
- Editorial board member of Asian Theological Ethics Book Series,
- Board member, St. Catherine of Siena Virtual College, UK
- Board member, John J. Carroll Institute for Church and Social Issues (2015-present)
- Planning Committee member, Catholic Theological Ethics in the World Church(2007-present); coordinator of Asia Forum, The First newsletter
- First EWA Coordinator (2004), Consultant (2005-2010), EWA Consultant (2007-2010 ), and Joint Treasurer (2012-present), Ecclesia of Women in Asia Website: http://ecclesiaofwomen.ning.com/
- President (2010-11), Vice-President (2002-2006), Board of Trustee (2002-11; 2013-present) and co-founding member, DaKaTeo-Catholic Theological Association of the Philippines (association of professional theologians in the Philippines), Website:
Faculty Research Publications
Dr. Agnes Brazal
- A Southeast Asian Theology: Liberation-Postcolonial Ethics in the Philippines (Maryknoll, New York: Orbis, 2018)
- 2015 (with Emmanuel S. de Guzman). Intercultural Church: Bridge of Solidarity in the Migration Context (San Jose, CA: Borderless Press).
- 2009/14 Growing Up as Christians in God’s Family Series (Grades 1-6 Textbooks); 1st and 2nd Trinitas Publishing, Bulacan.
- “in press” (with Virginia Fabella). Roots and Routes: Catholic Feminism in the Philippines. Quezon City: Claretian Publications.
- 2016 (with Stephen Bullivant, Eric Marcelo Genilo, sj and Daniel Franklin Pilario, cm) Theology and Power. Mahwah, N.J.: Paulist Press.
- 2016 (with MT Davila). Living with(out) Borders: Catholic Theological Ethics on the Migrations of Peoples. Maryknoll, N.Y.: Orbis Books.
- 2016 (with Eric Marcelo Genilo, Daniel Franklin Pilario). The Second Plenary Council of the Philippines: Quo Vadis? Quezon City: Ateneo de Manila University Press.
- 2016 (with Susanna Snyder and Joshua Ralston) Church in the Age of Global Migration: A Moving Body. N.Y.: Palgrave Macmillan.
- 2014 (with Kochurani Abraham) Feminist Cyberethics in Asia: Religious Discourses on Human Connectivity. N.Y.: Palgrave Macmillan.
- 2010 (with Eric Marcelo Genilo, sj, Aloysius Cartagenas and James Keenan, sj). Transformative Theological Ethics: East Asian Contexts. Quezon City: Ateneo de Manila University Press. (Distributed in the USA by the University of Hawai’i Press).
- 2008 (with Fabio Baggio. cs). Faith on the Move: Toward a Theology of Migration in Asia. Quezon City: Ateneo de Manila University Press. (Distributed in the USA by the University of Hawai’i Press).
- 2007 (with Andrea Lizares Si). Body and Sexuality: Theological-Pastoral Perspectives of Women in Asia. Quezon City: Ateneo de Manila University Press.
- 2011 (with Kiyoshi Seko) Catholic Moral Theology in a Pluralistic World, Asian Christian Review 5, no. 1 (2011)
- 2010 (with Peter Phan and Kiyoshi Seko) Theologies of Migration. Asian Christian Review 4, no. 2 (2010).
- 2007 (with Daniel Franklin Pilario, cm). Interdisciplinarity in Theology. Hapag: Journal of Interdisciplinary Theological Research 4, nos. 1-2 (2007).
- Forthcoming. “Church as Sacrament of Yinyang Harmony.” Theological Studies
- 2018 “Feminist Image of God and Women’s Leadership in Ciudad Mistica de Dios,” Concilium 374, no. 1 (2018), 83-92.
- Translation in six other languages. “Imagen femenina de Dios y liderazgo de las mujeres en Ciudad Mistica de Dios,” etc.
- “Dialogue and Proclamation of Truth: Reception of Nostra Aetate and Ad Gentes by the FABC,” Dialogue and Religions, Journal of Dharma vol. 42, no. 4 (October-December 2017): 411-434.
- Co-author with Andrea Vicini, sj) “Longing for Transcendence: Cyborgs, Trans- and Posthumans.” Theological Studies 76, no. 1 (March 2015): 148-65. (Scopus-indexed)
- “Feminism in Africa and the World Church,” East Asian Pastoral Review 54, no. 1 (2014): 29-40.
- 2014 “Pacem in Terris in a Digital Age.” Australian e-journal of Theology 21, no. 1 (April 2014): 1-14.
- 2011 “Metaphorical Ecclesiology: Faith-based Responses to Sex Trafficking.” In Human Trafficking, ed. Hille Haker, Lisa Cahill and Elaine Wainwright. Concilium 3 (2011): 94-102. (with translations in 5 other languages)
- 2011 “De zondvloed in Manilla.” Streven (June, 2011): 529-31.
- 2010 “Redeeming the Vernacular: Doing Postcolonial-Intercultural Theological Ethics.” Asian Horizons 4, no. 1 (June 2010): 50-66.
- 2010 “Harmonizing Power-Beauty: Gender Fluidity in the Migration Context.” Asian Christian Review 4, no. 2 (Winter 2010): 32-46.
- 2009 “Harnessing Cultural Resources Toward Solidarity.” MST Review: A Journal of Theological and Cultural Studies 11, no. 1 (2009): 31-59. 2009 “Can the Real Paul Stand Up? Paul and Women’s Leadership in the Church.” MST Review 10, no. 1 (2008): 38-60.
- 2008 “Cultural Rights of Migrants: A Philosophico-Theological Exploration.” Asian Christian Review 1, no. 3 (2008): 31-50.
- 2007 (co-author with Daniel Franklin Pilario, cm) “Disciplines, Interdisciplinarity and Theology.” Interdisciplinarity in Theology. Hapag: Journal of Interdisciplinary Theological Research 4, nos. 1-2 (2007): 5-25.
- 2005 “Interculturality in the Migration Context: Missiological Reflections vis-à-vis Pierre Bourdieu.” MST Review 7, no. 1 (2005): 1-27.
- 2005 “Ne pas ‘perde la face’, tendre vers une harmonie sociale.” Mission de l’Eglise 148 (April 2005).
- 2005 “Decriminalizing Prostitution in the Philippines: A Christian Response to the Tragic?” Hapag 2, no. 2 (2005): 229-48.
- 2004 “Missie en macht.” Wereld and Zending: Tijdschrift voor interculturele theologie 1(2004): 38-51.
- 2004 “Beyond the Religious and Social Divide: The Emerging Mindanawon Identity.” Chakana: Intercultural Forum of Theology and Philosophy 2 (2004) 3: 7-26. (Winning essay in the 2003 MWI – Institute of Missiology, Missio, Aachen – international academic essay contest for Contextual Theology and Philosophy.)
- 2003 (co-author: Sr. Ma. Anicia Co). “Fusion of Horizons: Women Naming and Celebrating their God-Experience.” MST Review (2003): 163-88. http://www.maryhillschooloftheology.com/review.htm
- 2000 “Patriarchal Relations: Reinforced or Undermined? Globalization and the Employment of Women’s Labor.” MST Review 4 no. 1 (2000): 17-29. http://www.maryhillschooloftheology.com/review.htm
- 1999 “Feminist Ideology Criticisms, the Bible and the Community.” MST Review 2 (1999): 97-117. http://ecclesiaofwomen.ning.com/forum/topics/feminist-ideology-criticisms
- 1999 “A Response to Feminist Theology in Conversation.” Himig Ugnayan 1 no.2 (1999): 44-51.
- “Inculturation: An Interpretative Model for Feminist Revisions of Liturgical Praxis?” MST Review 2 (1997): 21-33.
- 1996 “Inculturation: An Interpretative Model for Feminist Revisions of Liturgical Praxis?” Questions Liturgiques 1, no. 2 (1996): 124-34.
- 1996 “Exploring Some Epistemological Implications of the Shift in Third World Theologies of Liberation.” Inter-Sectiones 4 (1996): 13-23.
- 1995 6th Conference of the European Society of Women in Theological Research, August 1995.” Inter-Sectiones no. 4 (1995): 28-30.
- “John Paul II on Labour and Culture: An Assessment in the Light of Hegel and Marx,” Inter-Sectiones no. 1 (1995): 11-29.
Dr. Dalmacito Cordero
- True Love Still… Waits: Personal Narratives of Chastity Among Filipino Teens (Asia Pacific Journal of Multidisciplinary Research, CHED Recognized Journal) November 2018
- Understanding the Broader Horizon of Sexual Encounter: A Case Study on Sexual Engagement among Filipino Teens (Asia Pacific Social Science Review, SCOPUS), June 2018
- A Community-Based Sexual Ethics for Teens: Addressing Premarital Sex Using a Sociotheological Approach (Asia Pacific Social Science Review, SCOPUS) June 2017
- The Pedicab Drivers’ Daily Transgressions: Struggles for Provision and Care (MST Review, Refereed) December 2017
- Moral Decline in Teens: The Application of Contextual Theology (Asia Pacific Social Science Review, SCOPUS) December 2013
Faculty Academic Engagements
Prof. Dr. Rito Baring
William Patrick Farrell Professorial Chair in Religious Education, 2018
Dr. Agnes Brazal
Br. Andelino F. Castillo FSC Professorial Chair in Religious Studies, 2018
Dr. Agnes Brazal
- D’Angelo [Visiting] Chair of Humanities, St. John University, New York, 2017
- Duffy Lectures Chair in Global Christianity, Boston College, 2017
- Society of Christian Ethics Global Scholar
- Senior Research Fellow, Center for Intercultural Theology and World Catholicism, DePaul University, Chicago
- Finalist, National Book Award for Theology and Religion (given by the Manila Critics Circle in cooperation with the National Book Development Board), Body and Sexuality: Theological-Pastoral Perspectives of Women in Asia, 2017
- Visiting Fellow- Specialisation Scholarship for Continuing Education, Katholiek Universiteit Leuven, Belgium, 2006
- Winner of MWI (Institute of Missiology, Missio, Aachen) international academic essay contest on Contextual Theology and Philosophy. Theme “Religious Identity and Migration.”