De La Salle University positions itself as a leader in molding human resources who serve the Church and the nation. It is a Catholic coeducational institution founded in 1911 by the Brothers of the Christian Schools. The University is a hub for higher education training renowned for its academic excellence, prolific and relevant research, and involved community service.

Nestled in the heart of Manila, De La Salle University is home to local and international students seeking quality education for a brighter future ahead. It is situated in a vibrant city where culture and diversity is well manifested.

1911

On June 16, the Brothers of the Christian Schools opened the first La Salle School at 652 Calle Nozaleda, Paco, Manila with 100 students.

1910s
Image

Nine Brothers (five Frenchmen, three Irish, and one American) formed what would be the first community of La Salle in the Philippines. They included Brothers Blimond (director), Louis, Aloysius, Camillus, Augusto, B. Joseph, C. John, William, and Martin.

1921

De La Salle College transferred to its present site on Taft Avenue, Manila.

1920s

The architectural design of St. La Salle Hall was created by Tomas Mapua. It was the winning entry in a competition sponsored by the school.

During this time, many heads of state visited it, not the least of which were then-Governor-General Leonard Wood and Senate President Manuel Luis Quezon.

Dr. Paul Monroe and a commission of American educators named La Salle as one of the best private schools in the Philippine Islands after an eight-month cross-country inspection.

Extracurricular clubs and activities flourished during this decade. La Salle’s star shone brightly in the sports arena, with National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) championships in basketball, football, and track events.

1930s

Back then, La Salle also had a 200-member Glee Club, a combo of jazz musicians, a reputed oratorical team, and a cheering squad named Yell Command.

1945

The War Years brought shell shock and damage to the school, both in terms of ruined buildings and human carnage. Sixteen Brothers and 25 civilians were massacred on February 12, 1945.

After World War II, the Brothers took the task of rebuilding and introducing new undergraduate programs.

1940s

1947

Image

La Salle won its first postwar basketball trophy in the NCAA.

1954

Image

Auxiliary Bishop of Manila Hernando Antiporda is the first La Salle alumnus to become a member of the Philippine hierarchy.

1950s

1956

Image

Br. Bede Athanasius, the first Filipino to become a Brother of the Christian Schools from Baguio Novitiate, began teaching at DLSC.

1957

Image

The College of Liberal Arts and the College of Commerce underwent their first Philippine Accrediting Association of Schools, Colleges, and Universities (PAASCU) formal survey.

1960

Image

The University began extending financial assistance to deserving students.

1960s

1961

Image

The Golden Jubilee Scholarship, given to High School Valedictorians from La Salle schools, was established.

Image

Elections for Student Council officers were held at La Salle for the first time.

1971

Ariston Estrada Sr. was conferred the title Professor Emeritus, the first of such title given by DLSC.

1970s

1973

Image

De La Salle College turned coeducational, opening its doors to 38 female students into the Colleges of Commerce, Engineering, and Arts and Science.

The school established an assistance program to manage and systematize all scholarship programs of the institution.

1975

Image

The College was granted University status in recognition of its outstanding academic and professional contributions to Philippine private education.

The Student Personnel Services (SPS) was established. DLSU opened a computer center, the first university in the country to do so.

1981

Image

The University shifted its academic calendar from the traditional semestral schedule to a year-round trimestral calendar.

The University Research Office and the External Research Office were established. These became the precursors of the University Research Coordinating Office.

1980s

1985

Image

The University Library was inaugurated.

1987

DLSU, along with DLS-Zobel, DLSU Dasmariñas, DLS-Health Sciences Campus, and DLS-College of Saint Benilde, established the DLSU System.

1994

Image

The City Government of Manila named DLSU as one of the Ten Outstanding NGOs of Manila.

The University had full internet connection.

1990s

1996

Image

DLSU Professional Schools, Inc. composed of the College of Computer Studies, the Graduate School of Business, and the Information Systems and Technology Center became the newest member of the DLSU System.

1999

Image

DLSU participated in the First Lasallian Synod wherein members of the Philippine Lasallian Family renewed the Lasallian Mission.

The Star Scholars Program, the most comprehensive scholarship given by any university in the country, was introduced.

2000

The ASEAN University Network designated DLSU as lead school in the establishment of the first virtual university in the region.

2000s

2002

Image

DLSU became the first university in the country to earn the highest accreditation status from PAASCU.

2005

Image

The College of Computer Studies garnered Level III accreditation for its BS Computer Science program. It was, at the time, the highest program accreditation status ever bestowed by PAASCU to a higher education institution.

2007

DLSU engineering students and faculty designed, built, and raced the country’s first solar car, SINAG.

2009

All classrooms were installed Internet connections, LCD projectors, thin client computers, and hi-tech computers as part of the Technology-Enabled Learning Environment (TELE) Project. This supports transformative learning and global connection inside the classroom.

2010

Image

DLSU further pursued its advocacy on renewable energy with the development of the country’s second solar car, SIKAT. With the support of industry partners, SIKAT made a cross-country tour to raise awareness on sustainable energy.

2011

Image

The Lasallian community celebrated the Centennial year of DLSU.

2010s

2012

Image

The DLSU Science and Technology Complex was launched.

2013

Image

DLSU bagged its first UAAP General Championship.

Sikat II, the University’s solar car, placed 3rd in the World Solar Challenge in Australia.

2014

Image

On its maiden participation in the Bar Exams, College of Law ranked as No. 1 private law school.

The University produced the most number of research output in the Philippines, according to Scopus, the world’s largest database of peer-reviewed literature.

2015

DLSU eco car won first place in Shell Eco Marathon Asia.

2016

Image

DLSU won 1st place in the World Universities Debating Championship, English as Second Language Category.

DLSU opened its Bonifacio Global City campus in Taguig.