AKI Research Support Grants
The Institute continues to support the research-related activities of the faculty of the School of Economics (SOE). These include financial support for the presentation of papers in international conferences, publications, and other SOE capacity-building activities. Additional financial incentives are given to SOE faculty for their publications in ISI journals.
Since 2011, the following SOE faculty members have been granted financial support:
● Marites Tiongco and Monica Mariel Sauler: conference subsidy to the 92nd annual conference by the Western Economic Association International (WEAI) in San Diego, California from June 25 to 29, 2017.
● Ailyn Shi; conference subsidy to the 83rd International Atlantic Economic Society (IAES) Conference in Berlin Germany from March 22-25, 2017. Ms. Shi presented the paper entitled, “Gender diversity in boards and performance of Philippine publicly traded firms: do women matter?”
● Deborah Kim Sy; conference subsidy to the SIBR 2016 Osaka Conference on Interdisciplinary Business and Economics Research in Osaka, Japan on July 7-8, 2016. Ms. Sy presented her paper entitled, “The Philippine Stock Market in response to Monetary and Fiscal Shocks.”
● Cesar Rufino; conference subsidy to the 4th International Conference on Advancement of Development Administration 2015-Social Sciences and Interdisciplinary Studies (The 4th ICADA 2015-SSIS) in Bangkok, Thailand on May 28-30, 2015. Dr. Rufino presented his paper entitled, “Forecasting Tourist Arrivals from ASEAN +3 Countries to the Philippines using Non Structural Time Series Models.”
● Maria Francesca Tomaliwan; conference subsidy to the APUGSM 2015 Conference in Boracay, Philippines on February 8 to 10, 2015. Ms. Tomaliwan presented her paper entitled, “The Relationship between Stock Returns and Volatility in the Philippines Stock Market: A Semi-Parametric Approach.”
● Ruperto Majuca; Centro de Estudios Monetarios y Financieros (CEMFI) summer school on August 25-29, 2014 in Madrid, Spain. Dr. Majuca attended the CEMFI Computational Tools for Macroeconomists course/seminar.
● Cesar Rufino; conference subsidy to the 14th East Asian Economic Associations International Convention in Bangkok, Thailand on November 1-2, 2014. Dr. Rufino presented his paper entitled “The Joint Estimation of Filipino Child’s Participation in Schooling and Employment and New Stylized Facts on the Philippines Child Labor Situation.”
● Brian Gozun; attended the Research Workshop for Global Entrepreneurship at Kuala Lumpur on March 3-5, 2014.
● Emilina Sarreal; attended the Research Workshop for Global Entrepreneurship at Kuala Lumpur on March 3-5, 2014.
● Daniel Hofileña; conference subsidy to the 38th Annual Conference of the Federation of ASEAN Economic Association (FAEA) at the Nanyang Technological University in Singapore on November 27-29, 2013. Mr. Hofileña presented his paper entitled, “Measuring Asymmetric Volatility and Stock Returns in the Philippine Stock Market.”
● Christopher James Cabuay; conference subsidy to the 2013 International Winter Conference on Business and Economics Research in Beppu, Oita, Japan on January 18-19, 2013. Mr. Cabuay presented his paper entitled, Estimating the Impact of Globalization on Carbon Emissions in thePhilippines
● Mariel Monica Sauler; Centro de Estudios Monetarios y Financieros (CEMFI) Summer School Subsidy for the two (2) courses on: (1) Banking, Global Liquidity, and Financial Stability on August 22-24, 2012 and (2) Liquidity Business Cycles, and Public Policy on August 27-31, 2012 in Madrid, Spain.
● Krista Danielle Yu; conference subsidy to the 20th International Input-Output Conference of the International Input-Output Association (IIOA) in Bratislava, Slovakia on June 26-29, 2012. Dr. Yu presented her paper entitled, “Liberalizing the Philippine Mining Industry: A CGE approach into analyzing its sectoral impacts on the economy.”
● Mitzie Irene Conchada; summer school subsidy to the PEP-Laval Intensive Graduate School in Development Economics at the University of Laval, Quebec, Canada on June 17 to 23, 2012.
● Rachel Reyes; summer school subsidy to the International Training Centre for a short training course on “Assessing and addressing the effects of trade on employment: A social accounting matrix (SAM) based multiplier analysis,” Turin (Italy) on May 5-13, 2012.
● John Paolo Rivera; conference subsidy to the 20th International Input-Output Conference of the International Input-Output Association (IIOA) in Bratislava, Slovakia on June 26-29, 2012. Dr. Rivera presented his paper entitled, “Assessing the Economic Contribution of “Sin” Industries to the Philippine Economy: The Dilemma between Macroeconomic Growth and Microeconomic Welfare.”
● Denise Jannah Serrano; conference subsidy to the 12th Annual ASEAN Graduate Business and Economics Network Meeting and Conference at the Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, Thailand on January 18-20, 2012. Ms.Serrano presented her paper entitled, “In Pursuit of the ASEAN Economic Community: Closing the Development Gap Between CLMV and ASEAN-6 through the Initiatives for ASEAN Integration.”
● John Paolo Rivera; conference subsidy to the 2012 International Winter conference on Advancements in Business, Economics, and Innovation Management Research at the Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University in Beppu, Oita, Japan on January 20-21, 2012. Dr. Rivera presented his paper entitled, “Limiting Family Size through the Sufficient Provision of Basic Necessities and Social Services: The Case of Pasay, Eastern Samar, and Agusan Del Sur.”
● Krista Danielle Yu; conference subsidy to the 19th International Input-Output Conference in Crowne Plaza Old Town Alexandria, Virginia, USA on June 13-17, 2011. Dr. Yu presented her paper entitled, “An Economic Analysis of the Philippine Tourism Industry.”
● Cesar Rufino; submission fee subsidy for a possible publication in an ISI international journal of the paper entitled “Signal Extraction from Philippine Quarterly National Accounts Statistics Using ARIMA Model-based Methodology.”