|Incentives for internationally published works now offered
To encourage La Salle faculty to undertake world-class research projects, the University is giving an incentive of P20,000 to those who will get published in international ISI listed journals. To qualify, the faculty member must satisfy the following criteria:
- He/she is a full-time teaching or full-time academic service faculty of DLSU-Manila.
- He/she is an author of a paper published in an ISI listed journal during the period, January 2000 to May 2001. (To get the database of ISI listed journals, visit
- He/she has listed in the journal article his/her address or affiliation as De La Salle University-Manila, 2401 Taft Avenue, 1004 Manila, Philippines.
- He/she has not yet received a previous publications incentive award (i.e., the award can be granted only once to a faculty member during the period specified above).
- Any paper awarded the University publications incentive (Category A) can no longer be used for the publications incentive given by the colleges (Category B and C).
Incentive will be given starting December 15, 2000. Applications are now available at the VPA office.
Brother Roly joins fellow Catholic university heads in international confab
De La Salle University System President Brother Rolando Dizon, FSC led the DLSU System delegation in the 8th International Conference of the Association of Southeast and East Asian Colleges and Universities held in Cebu City from August 24 to 27.
With the theme “Catholic Education Responding to the Culture of Today’s Youth”, this year’s conference was jointly hosted by the University of San Carlos and the University of San Jose
Department of Education, Culture, and Sports Secretary Brother Andrew Gonzalez, FSC was invited as one of the plenary speakers. His paper, “On Teaching and Learning: Trends, Challenges and Future Directions,” discussed the challenges facing Catholic universities in the new millennium.
Joining the Brother President were Student Affairs Dean Monina Banaynal and Student Council Vice President for Academics Raquel Macalinao, who represented the University in the parallel ASEACCU Student’s Conference.
Administrators from different System units who attended the meet were: Dr. Herminia Torres, DLSU-Dasmariñas EVP, Ronald Holmes, DLSU-College of Saint Benilde EVP, and Felicitacion Antonio, DLSU-D Student Affairs dean.
ASEACCU is a regional association of Catholic universities and colleges in the region which aims to promote Catholic higher education and provide support to the Roman Catholic faith. Founded in 1991 by a group of Catholic university presidents from Southeast and East Asia, the association now boasts of 43 members from seven counties.
Following the guidelines of Ex Corde Ecclesiae, the Apostolic Constitution on Higher Education, ASEACCU serves as a forum for member schools to reflect on how they put into practice the ideals of a Catholic University as expressed by the apostolic constitution.
It also seeks to ascertain whether they have correctly defined and continuously maintained their identity as Catholic schools. Members can dialog freely at the highest levels, share resources with other schools and governments, and discuss how they can dialog with educational institutions belonging to other religious traditions.
DLSU Press presents La Salle 2000 at bookfair
The DLSU Press will join the country’s major publishing houses and book distributors in the Philippine Bookfair 2000, the country’s biggest book event, from September 9 to 17 at the Megatrade Hall, 5th level, Building B of SM Megamall.
The University press will launch ten new titles and offer big discounts on selected items. Bibliophiles can choose from a wide range of selections, from technical references to literary works.
The La Salle 2000 books are:
- Business Research by Divina Edralin
- Filipino Personality, Indigenous and Cross Cultural Studies by A. Timothy Church and Marcia S. Katigbak
- Questions on Marriage, Legitimacy and Succession by Atty. Virginia M. Diaz
- Building Peace, Essays on Psychology and the Culture of Peace by Dr. Allan B.I. Bernardo and Carmela D. Ortigas
- St. John Baptist de La
Salle, A 17th Century Educational Innovator by Brother Gregory Wright, FSC
- The DLSU Reader by Dr. Estrellita Gruenberg
- Filipino Philosophy by Rolando Gripaldo
- Paano Tumutula ang Isang Ina, Tula ng Buhay at Bayan by Ligaya
- Curriculum Engineering by Flordeliza Reyes
Aliw: Selected Essays on Popular Culture by Soledad Reyes
The Best Philippine Short Stories of the Twentieth Century, edited by Dr. Isagani Cruz, Departamento ng Literatura at Wikang Filipino (DLWF) chair and DLSU Press publisher, will be launched at Room B of the MegaTrade Hall at 6:30 p.m. on September 13. The anthology is published by Tahanan Books.