The founding director of De La Salle College was a polyglot; besides his native French (from the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg), he had mastered English and Spanish and was fluent in three other modern languages, besides having studied Latin and Greek. He earlier founded a Spanish-English school in San Juan Puerto Rico, in 1905. Undoubtedly, it was his administrative ability, his gift for languages, and his pioneering spirit which motivated his superiors to send him for another pioneering venture in founding the school in Manila, Philippines in 1911. Brother Blimond Pierre, FSC exemplified the ideal of the Christian gentleman in his Old World manners, his kindness and his graciousness, and his scholarliness. Close to 50 of his students in the United States of America entered the priesthood.
Born on May 1857, in Septfontaines, diocese of Luxembourg (grand duchy), a member of the community of old brothers at Fleury-Meudon, he died on 5 December 1912 in his 55th year, the 37th of his religious life, and the 27th of his profession of final vows.
Like his predecessor, Goslin Camille FSC (called in the Philippines Brother Camillus), the second director of De La Salle, was a native French speaker. He was part of the original group of Brothers who opened De La Salle in Paco. Although fluent in Spanish, he was no conversant in English, at least not during the first two years of his stint in Manila. For it was narrated of him that Superintendent O' Reilly of the Department of Education, visiting the Paco School of Calle Nozaleda in Paco, proudly announced in English that the school had been given the permit for a full four-year academic secondary program. Expecting applause, the Superintendent was met by a pregnant silence as neither the director (Brother Camillus) sitting on a makeshift stage with him nor the Spanish-speaking students understood the purport of the Superintendent's happy news. The director forthwith dismissed the classes without overt signs of gratitude or acknowledgments.
Brother Camillus was an able administrator, gifted in managing schools in Cuba, Manila, and France. He spent his remaining active years in France and Switzerland, teaching botany, administering temporal goods, and raising funds for the schools in Besancon, France, where he experienced financial difficulties because of France's anti-religion laws. He lived to the ripe old age of 84 and died in France in 1949.
Born on 2 April 1865 in Frecourt, Diocese of Langres in France, Brother Goslin Camille, a member of the Brother's community of Besancon - Saint Claude, died on 23 January 1949 in his 83rd year, the 67th year of his religious life, and the 53rd year of his profession of final vows.
Unlike his two predecessors, Brother Acisclus Michael was not one of the original Brothers who arrived in 1911 to open the school in Paco. However, he was an old Asia hand, having been in Singapore as director of Saint Joseph's Institution on Bras Basah Road, one of the landmarks of Singapore near Raffles Center until the transfer of that school from its original site to a new one outside of the center of the city. He was the director there for 15 years and completed the structure with a dome, for the chapel, and two curved wings; he also purchased the seaside property at Katong which later became St. Patrick's School. Brother Michael was one of the teams sent by the Superiors, then living in Lembecq-Lez-Hal in Belgium, to survey the territory and to look at the possibility for the proposed new school in Manila requested by alumnus Jeremiah J. Harty, Archbishop himself. Brother Michael saw possibilities for a new foundation and thought in terms of a commercial and technical (secondary) college at once. On his assuming the directorship in 1915, he saw at once the need for a bigger site than Paco and made the purchase of the property on Taft Avenue, then out in the suburbs of Manila, an undeveloped piece of raw-land fronting the sea with only St. Scholastica's as a neighbor and the end of Manila's tranvia line south of the city. He also purchased the former Brother's Baguio property on Legarda Road as a summer vacation house for the Brothers. Brother Michael was a builder and a man of vision and served a total of eight years (1915-1919, 1923-1927) with an interregnum by Brother Albinus Peter FSC.
Poor health forced Brother Michael to return to the United States (he was originally from County Cork in Ireland), but before he left, he initiated the construction of the La Salle Hall, the main building at the new location on Taft Avenue. He had approved plans for the classical design then in fashion in Manila; a competition for best design was won by Tomas Mapua, founder of the Mapua Institute of Technology. The initial funds were gathered through an unprecedented fundraising campaign among the parents of the first generation of De La Salle students. The building was to be completed by his successor.
He returned to the United States in 1927 and contrary to expectations, lived another nine years to a ripe old age and was known at the place of retirement of the New York Brothers in Barrytown, New York (now a seminary of the Unification Church of Reverend Sun Myung Moon) as "China Mike."
Born on 30 December 1852 in Kilmurry, Diocese of Cork (Ireland), a member of the community of retired Brothers in Barrytown, New York (United States), Brother Acisclus Michael died on 10 July 1936, in the 83rd year of his life, the 61st of his religious life, and the 50th of his profession of final vows.
Brother Albinus Peter's chief contribution as fourth director of De La Salle was to implement the construction plans laid by his predecessor in 1919 and to actually supervise the transfer to the new site on Taft Avenue in 1921. It seems too that it was with this transfer that the title president for the chief executive officer of the college was first used. He negotiated the sale of the former site (bought from the Perez-Samanillo family) to Vicente Madrigal, who bought the General Luna (formerly Nozaleda Street) property in Paco with the understanding that the beautiful wrought-iron fence (which now stands at the entrance of Fort Santiago in Manila) went with the sale of the land. Brother Peter insisted that it did not and threatened to have the fence dismantled and brought to Taft Avenue unless Don Vicente paid extra for it. It was one of the few times someone put one over on financially astute Don Vicente. From the inheritance he received from his parents, Brother Peter contributed the beautiful marble altar in the chapel of De La Salle.
Born on 15 October 1887 in Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States of America, a member of the Green Hills community in Mandaluyong, Rizal, Brother Albinus Peter died on 27 November 1969 in his 82nd year, the 62nd of his religious life, and the 53rd year of his profession of final vows.
Brother Celba John was one of nine of the pioneering community together with Brother Blimond Pierre and Goslin Camille. He was known for his gentleness and kindness, qualities which endeared him to the alumni until his death. He finally put the DLS Alumni Association a firm footing, and in line with his love of sports, was one of the founding members of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) in the Philippines in 1925. The Association continues to the present day. He was also a charter member and lifelong honorary member of the Philippine Amateur Athletic Federation and, for several years, chairman of the Football Committee.
Born on 3 March 1886 in Ballick Moyler, Ireland, a member of the La Salle, Taft Community in Manila, he died on April 17, 1964 in his 78th year, the 61st of his religious life and the 49th year of his profession of final vows.
Arriving a year after the pioneering Nine Brothers arrived in 1911, Brother Dorothy Joseph, another Irishman, spent his 15 years of teaching in Manila (1912-1927); he then went to Lembecq-lez-Hal in Belgium for his second novitiate and to Saint Joseph's College in Hong Kong as sub-director for a year. He returned to Manila to succeed Brother Celba John. He once more succeeded Brother Celba John in Seremban, Malaya; he spent the rest of his life teaching and administering in Malaya and Sarawak. Not much is known or remembered of him except that he had overseen the management of De La Salle in troubled financial times during the American Depression beginning in 1929.
Born on February 1893 in Moaate, County Westmeath (Ireland), a member of the community of retired Brothers at Penang, West Malaysia, Brother Dorothy Joseph died on 13 June 1972 in his 79th year, the 62nd year of his religious life, and the 50th year of his profession of final vows.
Brother Marcian James was a newcomer in the Philippines when he took over as a director in 1933. Although familiar with Asia and experienced in the ways of administration, he took over in his 66th year, the oldest among the directors. He came and went, never again to return, for he died two years after he finished his term in March 1936. Among all the pre-war directors, he was the best academically prepared, having founded a teacher training college. He is remembered as a gentle saint, and winning the intellectual who brought to De La Salle College an expertise and love for the humanities in a college then establishing its reputation as a school of commerce. He exercised, for example, a lifelong influence on another venerated figure on campus, Emeritus Professor Ariston Estrada.
Born on 31 August 1868 in Emo, Diocese of Kildare Laughlin, in Ireland, a member of the Community of La Salle College in Kowloon, Hong Kong, Brother Marcian James died on 2 September 1938 in his 70th year, the 53rd of his religious life and the 41st of his profession of final vows.
Brother Flannan Paul was a newcomer assigned to take over De La Salle in Manila. He came as a stranger to Manila's ways, having spent most of his life in Malaya. Unfortunately, the style of doing things in Malaya was not quite the same as the way of doing things in Manila. He was the shortest lived among Manila's directors, assuming the directorship on 25 January 1936 and relinquishing it by 8 December 1936, when he returned to teaching from administration. Shortly thereafter, he sailed for Penang to become Auxiliary Visitor (Provincial) on 10 January 1937.
Born on 7 April 1883 in Glenahill, Burton Port, County Donegal in Ireland, a member of the community of Brothers of Saint Joseph's Institution in Singapore, Brother Flannan Paul died on 6 November 1972 in the 89th year of his life, 69th year of his religious life, the 58th year of his profession of final vows.
Brother Egbert Xavier was an old Philippine hand having spent nearly all of his previous teaching years since he was 17 at De La Salle except for an initial stint in Ceylon (Sri Lanka), a year's renewal program in Belgium, and three years in Burma and Hong Kong. After a lifelong career at De La Salle, beginning from the lower levels and continuing to the tertiary stage, he was named director. He was a founding member of the Catholic Educational Association of the Philippines and campaigned for shortening primary and intermediate schooling by one year (no seventh grade) and high school by one year (a total of three years) for Philippine schools to lend savings for the government. In the process he crossed swords with Bienvenido M. Gonzalez in 1940, the president of the University of the Philippines, who advocated longer schooling for Filipinos. Courageous and firm, he gave shelter at the beginning of the War to members of the American Air Force prior to the surrender of Manila.
When De La Salle was commandeered by the Japanese Military Administration, he insisted on maintaining the rights of the community. Because of the perceived safety of the buildings, friends and neighbors of the school took refuge on campus at the end of the War; these refugees Brother Egbert kindly admitted. Non-confirmed sources aver that he gave aid to the guerillas, which may partly explain why he was eventually killed by the Japanese occupational forces. Legend has it that he hid some of the valuables and money of the school somewhere on the property, but later searches for treasure yielded nothing. He loved the school very much, wanted to keep it safe for reopening after the occupants left. It was this conviction that made him insist that the community stay on the premises to wait for the American liberation forces, in spite of the warnings that the Brothers' and Refugees' lives were in danger from the retreating Japanese (some say Korean) marines.
On 7 February 1945 Brother Xavier and Judge Carlos (the head of one of the families staying with the Brothers) were taken by a Japanese detachment and were never seen again, although a report had it that at the Rizal Memorial Sports Complex, a victim in black robes was seen hanging. Five days later, on 12 February 1945, the massacre of the Brothers and friends at De La Salle took place. Brother Egbert Xavier loved La Salle too well but not wisely on his crucial decision to stay on the premises of De La Salle during the last few days of the War.
Born on 24 may 1894 at Wicklow, Ireland, Brother Egbert Xavier died in his 50th year, the 34th of his religious life, and the 23rd of his profession of his final vows.
After the War, by a decision of the Generalate, the Philippines became part of the District of San Francisco, California; before the War it had been under Penang. The first director under this new dispensation was Brother Lucian Athanasius, an American from Jackson, Missouri and a classmate of Brother H. Gabriel Connon. Brother Lucian had been teaching in the Philippines before the War and was the first of the Brothers in the Philippines to earn a doctorate in philosophy and letters from the University of Santo Tomas. He was also the second American director of De La Salle. He was confined in internment camps in Baguio and Los Baños and was much weakened because of this. He had to return to the United States for a much-needed rest in 1945. During this period Brother Anthony Ferdinand was acting president. Brother Lucian died in office in 1950. With War Damage funds, he rehabilitated De La Salle and left the buildings in excellent condition. The school was back to normal operations by the time of his death. During this period, the College of Engineering began, with Brother Lambert Edward Chisholm as its founding dean.
Born on 24 May 1911 in Jackson Missouri, United States of America, Brother Lucian Athanasius died on 27 May 1950 in his 39th year, the 22nd of his religious life and 13th year of his profession of final vows.
Brother Antony Ferdinand was one of the early Brothers, arriving in 1914. He was born in the United States, in Brooklyn, from Irish parents. He became the third American to head the school in an acting capacity. Spared concentration camp by leaving Hong Kong at the outbreak of the War, he was able to return in 1945 to help re-establish De La Salle College.
Together with Brother Lambert Edward FSC, who became dean of the College and founder of the College of Engineering, and t Brother Ubaldus Alphonsus Bloemen, who became vice president for administration of De La Salle, Brother Antony Ferdinand re-opened De La Salle with classes held under large army tents put up on the area of the present Velasco Hall.
"Big Brother Antony" built up the Commerce program before the War and like Brother Celba John, was well-known in the field of sports. He also started scouting in the Philippines and after the War, set the trend for boys' school wear: khaki pants, white shirt and a school patch as the daily uniform.
Born on 24 June 1984 in Brooklyn, New York, United States of America, a member of the community of De La Salle College in Manila, Philippines, Brother Antony Ferdinand died on 3 May 1961 in his 60th year, the 49th of his religious life, and the 36th of his profession of final vows.
Tall, with an imposing presence made more formidable by his baldness, Brother Andelino Manuel arrived in the Philippines at the age of 51 when most others would be thinking of retiring, to begin a new exciting career in the islands which spanned 21 years. Although a native New Mexican, marked by his Spanish-accented English all his life, a legend at De La Salle College grew up about "Manny" as being "the tall Texan."
The sub-director when Brother Athanasius died suddenly on 27 May 1950 at the start of the new school year (1950-1951), Brother Manuel had to assume the acting directorship and presidency for three months (27 May-August 27, 1950).
Though president in an acting capacity, Brother Manuel took admirable initiatives including the establishment of a short-lived Music Department under the direction of Estela Goldenberg-Brimo, a De La Salle parent, nationally known pianist and artist. Musical events were held with the school musicians and the band performing, and tutorial lessons in music after regular classes were taught at De La Salle for the first time. Brother Manuel spent his subsequent years teaching in the College and working with student catechists; his crowning achievement at De La Salle was the organization of the professional catechists who until now continue to teach as full-time religion teachers in public schools in Manila; the group has perpetrated his name by calling their corporation the Brother Andelino Manuel Castillo Religious Education Foundation (BAMCREF).
Born on 17 June 1898 in Belen, New Mexico, Brother Andelino Manuel died on 21 May 1979 in Lafayette, Louisiana, a member of the community of retired Brothers of Lafayette, in the 80th year of his life, the 49th year of his religious life, and the 52nd year of his profession of final vows.
In the history of De La Salle University, no other President has had the same impact on the institution as Brother Hyacinth Gabriel, for he had the longest time to exert his influence on De La Salle, initially for nine years (1950-1959), subsequently for 12 (1966-1978), or a total of 21 years.
In the post-war period, Brother Gabriel became almost synonymous with De La Salle. The first term was marked by the expansion of the college and its professionalization, began under Brother Chrysostom Peter Clifford, who assumed the post of dean of the College, succeeding Brother Lambert Edward Chisholm, its post-war re-founder. It was also during this first period of the presidency that Brother Gabriel assumed the directorship of the community, the presidency of the College, and the Auxiliary Visitorship of the Philippines (1953), the Philippines having been raised to be a sub-district of the San Francisco Province of the Brothers. As Auxiliary Visitor, Brother Gabriel, using De La Salle as a base and as the mother institution, opened the novitiate in Baguio in 1951, the scholasticate on Taft Avenue in 1960, and the junior novitiate (also on Taft Avenue) in 1959. In addition, he opened La Salle College Bacolod, La Salle Greenhills, La Salle Iligan, and La Salle Lipa.
Within De La Salle College, the growing autonomy of the college as a separate unit was symbolized by the construction of Saint Joseph Hall. The reconstruction of the bombed site of the gym also took place early in Brother Gabriel's first term. During the second term of his presidency (1966-1978) when the directorship was separated from the presidency, Brother Gabriel as president oversaw the expansion of the college from an enrollment of 1,500 to more than 5,000 and the expansion of its units. Benilde Hall was constructed and the plans for the student Services Building (named Connon Hall in his memory) finalized. But perhaps the crowning achievement of his administration was the granting of the charter as a university to De La Salle on 19 February 1975 in an official communication personally handed to him by his friend and colleague, then Minister of Education, Culture and Sports Juan L. Manuel; by that time he had also become De La Salle's first Filipino president, having been granted Philippine citizenship by an Act of Philippine Congress on 10 August 1970.
Born on 11 July 1911 in Chicago, Illinois. Brother Hyacinth Gabriel died on 24 August 1978 in the 67th year of his life, the 49th year of his religious life, and the 42nd year of his profession of final vows.
Appointed as President after Brother Hyacinth Gabriel's term of nine years, Brother Denis of Mary stayed only two years as president, having been called by Brother Nicet-Joseph, Superior General, to assume direction of an international scholasticate in Rome. At the time of his appointment, he had earned degrees from Villanova and Catholic University and a Doctorate in Pedagogy, honoris causa, from La Salle College, Philadelphia. The brevity of Brother Denis' term precluded any major changes; perhaps the most significant contribution during Brother Denis's term was that knowing that the team working at the College had clear directions and a definite plan, he left them to execute their plans. In the process, the collegiate structure was strengthened. Brother Denis's major contributions lay elsewhere, as founding director of the Brother's School in Bluefields, Nicaragua, as founding director of De La Salle College in Bacolod, and the second director of novices (following Brother Manuel Castillo) in Baguio from 1953 to 1959.
In 1977, he suffered a stroke that paralyzed his speech, and he could not utter a sound. After a month, he came to the States and was operated on.
Slowly when he got back part of his speech, he worked for the Saint La Salle Auxiliary in Ammendale, the Bishop Walsh High School, Cumberland, Maryland, and the St. Philip Neri's Parochial School, South Philadelphia.
Brother Crescentius Richard's term was marked by the vision for the college. He temporarily served as dean of the college and subsequently made the unpredicted move of appointing a lay person as De La Salle's first academic vice president, Waldo S. Perfecto.
With Brother Richard's support, Waldo S. Perfecto continued the professionalization of operations in the college to make the unit meet international standards: full-time faculty with reduced teaching hours were recruited, departments were set up, the Graduate School of Education (under Brother Hyacinth Gabriel) began, the Graduate School of Business and the Management Development Programs flourished, and the budgeting process become institutionalized. In addition, constructed during the period was William Hall, initially a building housing the student Brothers but subsequently a faculty center of the University.
Before Brother Richard left office, plans had been finalized for a student services building, a library, and an engineering building. Subsequently, these structures were erected; steps were taken to re-structure the legal status of the College from a corporation sole to a non-stock non-profit organization duly incorporated under the Securities and Exchange Commission (which came to fruition in 1975) and although initially advisory, a functioning board of trustees was organized. The first planned scholarship program for less advantaged students was begun. Cooperation was established with the business schools of Ateneo de Manila University and the University of the Philippines, laying the foundations for the Asian Institute for Management.
At the age of 65, after 31 years of service to the Philippines, Brother Richard returned to his home district of New York in 1984 to begin a third career in being of assistance to the overseas apostolate committee and by helping out in the office of the Saint La Salle Auxiliary.
Br. Andrew Gonzalez was born in Manila on February 29, 1940. He earned his Bachelor of Arts degree, summa cum laude, at St. Mary's College in Minnesota in 1959. He completed his M.A. in English Literature at the Catholic University of America in Washington, D.C. the following year. He became a university scholar and Regent's Fellow in Linguistics at the University of California in Berkeley, where he earned his Ph.D. in Linguistics in 1970.
As a teacher, Br. Andrew constantly underscored the need for teachers to be future-oriented themselves to be able to lead students into thinking of alternative worlds possible. He believed that "a brave new world" is possible if Filipinos would get together and create a scenario where more wealth is produced and better distributed-through knowledge and its applications.
He belonged to the batch of examinees that took the first Professional Board Examinations for Teachers in 1978, wherein he emerged as the first placer. He highly valued the profession and the calling of teaching that he often said "only the best and the brightest should teach and that those who are called to teaching must be liberally educated persons."
He received four honorary degrees from foreign universities, namely, Waseda University and Soka University in Japan, St. Paul University in Canada, and St. Mary's College in the USA.
He served as dean of Student Affairs of De La Salle College, as it was then, and as vice president of De La Salle University, before he became president of the University in 1979, the youngest president in its history.
Throughout his career, he had worked with the most admirable zeal, energy and dedication for the development not only of the field of linguistics, but also of higher education in the Philippines.
By August 2005, Br. Andrew's publications in linguistics, education, and religious education numbered to more than 3,000. He led by example, continuously undertaking trailblazing research projects as he promoted DLSU's research culture. He was still working on six publications before his death.
He was editor of the Philippine Journal of Linguistics from 1974 to 1995, member of the
Editorial Board of the Journal of Translation and Textlinguistics from 1990 to1998, member of the Editorial Advisory Board of World Book International from 1989 to 2000, and member of the International Advisory Board of the Asia Pacific Journal of Education in 2004. He was also president of The Manila Bulletin Publishing Corporation from 1991 to 1998.
His research interests included descriptive linguistics, historical linguistics, psycholinguistics, sociolinguistics (especially language planning), and applied linguistics (especially language education). His works as a linguistics scholar have given rise to seminal ideas in the field, among both local and foreign scholars. Because of his pioneering research works in the field of Linguistics, he was elected to the National Academy of Science and Technology in 1996.
The types of schools that Br. Andrew established were similar to those that St. La Salle established during his time. Br. Andrew founded the College of Saint Benilde as a center for innovative learning. He acquired the Health Sciences Campus to meet the demand for trained doctors in Southern Tagalog, and the DLSU-Dasmariñas to serve a sector of the rural population and to meet the requirements of the growing industry in the region. Because of his determination, he oversaw the expansion of the DLSU System, which grew to eight schools by year 2005, with assets totaling some four billion pesos.
Br. Andrew served as Education Secretary from 1998-2001, during which he sought to strengthen in-service training programs for public school teachers. He pushed for the development of their competency in core subjects such as English, Science, and Mathematics.
His goal was to put up one complete elementary school in every barangay and one complete high school in every municipality. He pushed for better public-private relations, particularly through the Adopt-A-School Program and innovative approaches like build-operate-transfer and build-operate-lease schemes to address the shortage of school facilities in the country.
He also implemented transparency measures at the Department of Education, Culture, and Sports by overhauling the bidding procedures in the purchase of books, providing a model for the drafting of a bill that became the Procurement Reform Act of 2003.
Unknown to most Lasallians, Br. Andrew, who hailed from Pampanga, made it his mission in the early 90s to turn a town mate's free clinic for indigent Kapampangans to a full-scale hospital for the poor. He pooled his own resources and personally solicited donations from his relatives and friends to help make the medical institution a reality. On September 10, 1994, the ASSCCOM-DLSUMC Friendship Hospital, the first and only service medical institution in Apalit, Pampanga, was inaugurated. Although the hospital was always in the red because of its non-profit nature, Br. Andrew was resolute in his decision that it must continue providing free medical treatments to his marginalized townmates. He subsidized the hospital's operations cost with a monthly financial stipend and a trust fund.
Br. Andrew relentlessly lived out his advice, serving as the best example of a Christian achiever for God and Country. He underscored the importance not only of academic and intellectual growth but also the development of self and one's identity as a Filipino.
Brother Rafael earned his Doctor of Education degree from Harvard University and a Master's degree in English as a Second Language and Linguistics from Columbia University. He received his early education - from elementary through college - at De La Salle College. He graduated with a Bachelor of Science in Education degree in 1962. He also took additional graduate units in Linguistics from St. Louis University in Baguio and Georgetown University in Washington, D.C.
He was a convenor of the National Peace Conference, Executive Secretary of the Joint Board of the Association of Major Religious Superiors of the Philippines (AMRSP), and a member of the Multisectoral Peace Advocates Group.
He became the Provincial of the De La Salle Brothers in the Philippines, Chairperson of the AMRSP and the President of the La Salle Greenhills.
Born in Bacolod City on October 31, 1944 to Raymundo L. Dizon of Porac, Pampanga and Hermelinda V. Ramos of Negros Occidental, Rolando was the fifth of six children. When La Salle College opened in Bacolod in 1952, Rolando was enrolled as a Grade Three student. He finished grade school in 1957 as valedictorian of his class, and high school in 1961 as valedictorian and Student Council president. Encouraged by Brother Francis Cody and inspired by Brother Andrew Gonzalez, Rolando entered the La Salle Brothers' postulancy right after high school. He made his first vows on October 11, 1962 and began his undergraduate studies at De La Salle College. He was sent to the Catholic University of America in 1965 where he finished his Bachelor of Arts, Major in Mathematics in 1968.
Brother Rolando's first assignment was La Salle Green Hills, where he taught math and religion for a year before being appointed Grade School principal in 1969, High School principal in 1971 and acting president in 1973.
After finishing his Master of Arts in Educational Management at De La Salle, he earned a Fulbright grant to pursue his doctoral studies in International Development Education at Stanford University. After graduating in 1978, Brother Rolando returned to La Salle Green Hills as president. In 1986 he was transferred to La Salle Bacolod, where he served as president up to September 1998.
A TOYM (Ten Outstanding Young Men) awardee in Education, he has also received the Jesuit OZANAM Award as well as the Marie Eugenie Centenary Award.
Brother Rolando's multifaceted interests and versatility have led to an exciting career in educational service. He was president of the Catholic Educational Association of the Philippines (CEAP) as well as chairman and board member of dozens of schools and colleges. He was deeply involved in countryside development work and social justice issues with rice farmers, fisher folk, sugar workers, and micro-entrepreneurs. He is also a member of a host of national and international organizations dedicated to peace, ecology, and futures studies.
Starting out as a classroom teacher at La Salle Green Hills, Dr. Carmelita Quebengco rose from the ranks in De La Salle University (DLSU) to become the first lay and woman president of the DLSU System. She served as the interim president of the System from May 2003 to March 2004.
At DLSU, where she was concurrently the Executive Vice President (EVP), she established The Museum, which is now custodian of the 416 artworks donated by the heirs of Wili and Doreen Fernandez, conceptualized the Star Scholars Program, led the groundbreaking of the Br. Andrew Gonzalez Hall, and helped conceptualize the Pacific-Asia Lasallian Institute.
During her incumbency, the graduate programs of the Colleges of Education, Liberal Arts, and Science were granted a five-year re-accreditation by the Philippine Accrediting Association of Schools, Colleges, and Universities (PAASCU), new faculty development programs and incentives for research and travel were approved, and the re-negotiation of the provisions of the existing Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA), which was in effect from 2000 to 2005, resumed in 2003.
It was during her watch that DLSU received the first and highest accreditation from the Philippine Accrediting Association of Schools, Colleges and Universities, and was awarded 11 national Centers of Excellence by the Commission on Higher Education (CHED), aside from attaining autonomous deregulated status. In 2006, she initiated and strongly supported the building of a solar car, "Sinag", a pioneering project in the Philippines undertaken by the combined efforts of DLSU College of Engineering students and faculty.
She headed the re-visioning and development of the DLSU Vision-Mission and Development Plan for 2003-2013.
In August 2008, she led the teams that worked for the actual assessment of the University's Chemical Engineering and Economics programs. With the aim of pushing its standards to a higher level, the University undertook the AUN-QA assessment and in the process, received "better than adequate" ratings for the two programs.
Following her retirement from DLSU in December 2007, she was conferred the title of Chancellor Emeritus. She led the team that conceptualized the College of Law Program, which received the approval of the Commission on Higher Education (CHED) to formally open in SY 2009-2010.
Br. Armin Luistro FSC is the incumbent president and chancellor of De La Salle University (DLSU) in Manila, Philippines. As president and chancellor, his main responsibilities are to direct the overall affairs of the institution and to ensure the overall effective and efficient management and delivery of the university's programs and services.
Aside from serving in the Boards of Trustees of 5 La Salle Schools, Br. Armin is also a member of the Boards of Trustees of other premiere educational institutions such as the Asian Institute of Management; Assumption College, Makati City; East Asian Pastoral Institute, Ateneo de Manila University; Immaculate Concepcion Academy, San Juan; Socio Pastoral Institute and La Consolacion College - Novaliches.
Other than being an active partner of different educational institutions, he is also part of renowned educational organizations and associations both here and abroad. Locally, Br. Armin is a director-at-large of the Catholic Education Association of the Philippines, trustee of the South Manila Inter-Institutional Consortium (SMIIC) and member of the Technical Working Group of the Philippine Business for Education. In the international scene, he is the vice president of the International Federation of Catholic Universities, the regional director for Asia and the Pacific of the International Association of Lasallian Universities, a trustee of the ASEAN University Network, and a member of the International Association of University Presidents, among others.
Together with his love for education, Br. Armin still manages to be involved in other advocacies and foundations that help the less fortunate. Among these are Knowledge Channel Inc. and the Jose Diokno Foundation where he is a trustee and the SIDHAY Foundation for Street Children, Inc. where he was founding chair.
Br. Armin has obtained a bachelor's degree in Philosophy and Letters in 1981, and a master's degree in Religious Education at DLSU. He finished his Doctorate in Education from the University of St. La Salle, Bacolod City, Philippines in 2005. La Salle University in Philadelphia conferred on him a Doctorate in Humane Letters, honoris causa, in 2004.
He entered religious life in 1979 and has since then served in various capacities. He was the Visitor (Brother Provincial) of the De La Salle Brothers - Philippine District from 1997 to 2004 and president of De La Salle Philippines since November 2005.