PhD Research Apprenticeship Program
The College of Liberal Arts through the Office of Research & Advanced Studies is offering a PhD Research Apprenticeship Program to outstanding PhD Students enrolled in De La Salle University. This program is designed to guide, train and mentor PhD students who have the potentials, skills, passion and the integrity to become successful faculty researchers, innovators and social catalysts in the years to come.
Only three (3) PhD students shall be chosen through a competitive selection process. Each of them shall be appointed as research apprentice in the Bienvenido N. Santos Creative Writing Center (BNSWC), La Salle Institute of Governance (LSIG) and Social Development Research Center (SDRC).
- The program is open to both incoming and current PhD students.
- PhD applicants must have written and defended a Master’s thesis paper in any field of specialization.
- For incoming PhD students, the applicants should be admitted first in any PhD program being offered in the College of Liberal Arts by 3rd term SY2012-2013. Admission period is October to November 2012. Please comply with the admission requirements and procedures of the De La Salle University, which can found in this link: http://www.dlsu.edu.ph/admissions/graduate/
- Incoming PhD students must have a GPA of 3.5 or higher (or its equivalent) from their Master’s degree program in order to qualify.
- For current PhD students, interested applicants must have earned at least 6 units of coursework in the field of Social Sciences or Humanities with a GPA of 3.5 or higher;
- Both incoming or current PhD students must be a full-time student enrolled at least in 6 units of coursework every term and should not be employed on a full-time basis at the time of their application;
- Applicants are required to submit the following:
a) Updated curriculum vitae,
b) Personal statement essay (1-2 pages, indicate personal and academic background, achievements, strengths and weaknesses and career goals),
c) Research experience essay (2-3 pages, indicate research interests, research plan in completing PhD degree program, publication goals, seminars and conferences attended),
d) Application letter (indicate which research center to be affiliated with),
e) 2 reference letters (if applicable, one must come from previous employer and the other from former M.A. professor),
f) Transcript of Records (TOR),
g) A one-page summary of M.A./M.S. thesis (indicate thesis statement, problems, methodology, framework, findings and conclusion)
h) For current PhD student, a summary of grades certified true and correct by DLSU Office of the University Registrar
- The deadline for submission of application is on November 15, 2012. Please submit all your documents to the Office of Research & Advanced Studies located in the CLA Dean’s Office, 2F Miguel Building, De La Salle University.
- An interview will be scheduled for shortlisted candidates on December 2012.
- The Selection Committee shall be composed of the Vice Chancellor for Research (chair), CLA Dean, RAS Director, the 3 research centers’ directors, and one senior faculty member.
- Successful applicants will be announced on December 14, 2012.
- The PhD Research Apprenticeship Program shall commence on January 2013.
Terms & Conditions:
- The tasks and research schedule of the apprentice will be arranged in consultation with the Directors of BNSCWC, LSIG and SDRC. The research apprentice will serve as co-researcher/collaborator in one of the existing or on-going research projects of the center. He/she can also be involved in other research programs and activities of the research center. During the apprenticeship program, the apprentice must not be employed nor seek employment on a fulltime basis.
- The PhD research apprentice shall be part of the research center for a period of 1 year up to a maximum period of 3 years, subject to renewal or extension every year. The apprentice shall be subjected to performance appraisal every year including an evaluation of his/her academic standing prior to renewal or extension. In this case, the apprentice must maintain a GPA of 3.5 or higher and must submit a yearly summary of grades to the Office of Research & Advanced Studies.
- Each apprentice shall be given a 100% scholarship throughout his/her graduate studies in DLSU. If in case the apprentice is currently enjoying a partial academic scholarship from the Office of Student Financial Assistance, then his/her scholarship will be automatically upgraded to 100%.
- A monthly stipend of P23,000 (net of tax) will be given to PhD research apprentice through-out the program plus a one-time book allowance of P10,000.
- Upon completing the program and his/her PhD degree, the research apprentice may apply for a teaching position or may be absorbed as a research faculty in the College of Liberal Arts subject to the provisions of the Faculty Manual. There is a possibility that he/she may be assigned in other Lasallian school.